Slough moves into covid tier 2

The change will come into force at 00:01 Saturday 24 October. Find out more details about Slough going into tier 2 and what it means.

Please go to our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

What permission or approval do I need?

Do I need permission?

You need to apply for planning permission for most building work. New structures will generally need planning permission, but extensions, demolitions, and works to protected trees may also require planning permission.

Complying with building regulations and obtaining planning permission are separate matters, so if you have planning permission, you also need to check whether you need building regulations approval. For more information about the Building Control Regulations, please see our Building Control pages.

Common planning applications

The majority of building work requires planning permission. If you are planning a home improvement project, it is likely you will need to submit a planning application.

The government provides guidance on what work requires a planning application. To check if your project needs planning permission, please see the Planning Portals online guidance.

The Planning Portal also offers guidance on common projects such as conservatories, extensions and loft conversions.

Slough Borough Council offers specific guidance on residential extensions in Slough. You can read more about this in our Residential Extension Guidelines.

Slough Borough Council also offers a pre-application advice service to help your proposal get planning permission. Pre-application advice allows a planning officer to informally consider your planning application before it is formally submitted.

Permitted development

Some projects do not require planning permission. They are what is called ‘permitted development’.

If you are planning an extension to your house, this may be permitted development. Please note that permitted development rights only apply to houses, and do not exist for flats or maisonettes.

If you wish to build an extension under the permitted development rights, you may wish to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness. This shows that your development is a permitted development.

More information about permitted development can be found on our guidance page on the changes to permitted development rights for household extensions.

Please note that some houses are under a restrictive planning condition. This removes the right to build under permitted development, and means you would need to apply for planning permission if you wish to extend your house.

Please email to check if your house is under a restrictive planning condition.

Other forms of planning applications

In addition to a standard planning application, there are also several other forms of planning permission you may need:

In addition to Planning Permission, there are other laws and permissions that affect building work. The following permissions should also be checked before you start work:

  • Covenants and private rights
  • Rights of way
  • Ancient monuments
  • Licensed sites
  • Protected species
  • The Party Wall Act.

Please note some of these laws and permissions are not related to planning matters. As such, the council is unable to assist with enquires relating to them. Advice on the above can be found on the planning portal website.

If you have any doubt about what permission you need, please contact us for advice before starting work:

Don't forget - if you need help with your application we also offer a pre-application service.

Contact us

Contact Planning form

01753 477340

Planning Department
Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road
Find on map