You need to apply for building regulations approval for most building work, but there are some exceptions. Work that does not need building regulations approval is summarised below. But remember, your work may need planning permission even if it does not need building regulations approval.
To help you decide if you need either or both a Building Regulation Application and a Planning Application, please visit the interactive Planning Portal visual guide.
- Conservatory: A conservatory must be constructed mostly of transparent or translucent materials (typically at least 75% of the roof and 50% of the walls). It must be attached to the house at ground storey and have a floor area not exceeding 30m2. Any opening between the conservatory and the house must be fitted with a door(s). Certain glazed panels need to be safety glass. Check with us if you have any doubts.
- Detached garage: A garage must contain no sleeping accommodation and have a floor area not exceeding 30m2. It must be at least 1m from any boundary or else be substantially built with non-combustible materials.
- Porch: A porch must be used for no other purpose with no permanent opening into the house. It must not exceed 30m2 in floor area. Certain glazed panels need to be laminated or toughened glass – check with us if in doubt.
- Carport: A carport must be open on at least two sides and have a floor area not exceeding 30m2. (Note: doors do not count as an open side).
- Covered way/yard: A covered way or covered yard must be attached to a house and have a floor area not exceeding 30m2.
- Detached building - non residential (shed etc): A detached building must contain no sleeping accommodation and have a floor area not exceeding 15m2.
- Detached building - residential: Normally, a Building Regulations application is not required for a residential building providing it is detached with a floor area of under 30 square metres. And with no drainage or cooking facilities, made substantially from non combustible materials if within 1 metre of any boundary, and the sole use of which is ancillary to the main property. Any electrical installations or other controlled services or fittings would need to comply with the building regulations.
If you have any doubt about whether you need building regulations approval, please phone us on 01753 875810 - before starting work.