This is very important. We recommend that you employ a qualified architect or surveyor to guide you. Their assistance may also be useful during the construction phase - to check the work as it proceeds.
Always get written quotes from builders (at least three) and check that all work is included in the quote. Do not automatically choose the lowest quote.
- Get references from recent customers and check them out
- If possible get personal recommendations
- Plan the work and decide what you want before asking for a quote
- Are the builders happy for you to hold a retention payment?
- Check the builder has liability insurance
- Check the builder has up to-date knowledge of current building practice
- Use a formal method of contract
- For electrical work, you should employ an electrician belonging to a Competent Persons scheme. Find a registered electrician.
Ask questions NOW - before it is too late!