You can also find information on roadworks in Slough, as well as the option of receiving e-mail alerts, on the national roadworks website.
The highways team produce a programme of works to footpaths, pavements and roads in the borough.
Each year we carry out a series of special inspections on all the roads and a proportion of pavements in Slough. Based upon these, we draw up a list of roads that need resurfacing in order of technical merit. A lot of factors determine the priority of a road on the list and include the state of the road’s surface, whether the road is actually failing structurally, the road classification, proximity of schools, hospitals or other vulnerable users.
The Crossrail website has details of current and planned work which is being undertaken as part of the Crossrail project, including information about road closures.
From 4th March 2015, Slough will be operating under The Traffic Management (Slough Borough Council) Permit Scheme Order 2014. This will help us to manage street and road works across the road network better. The scheme excludes the motorways, for which the Highways Agency is the Highway Authority. Find out more about the SBC permit scheme.
Under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, utility companies have to inform the council of any work being carried out. We will inspect a percentage of this work.
If there is a problem with a utility service please contact the utility company direct - their details should be provided at the site of the works.
If there is a problem with the road surface please complete the report a highways issue form or email email@example.com
The funding for local highway and other local transport improvements which aims to reduce congestion at key locations, upgrade or improve the maintenance of local highway assets across England, outside London, to improve access to employment and housing, to develop economic and job creation opportunities.
Of the £185 million Slough will receive £381,000 which will be spent as follows:
The Street Lighting Upgrade Project is a joint initiative between Slough, Reading and Wokingham borough councils which officially started in the middle of April, although about 20 new lamps were installed in Leigh Road, Long Furlong Drive and in some other streets across Slough.
We successfully led a joint bid for the Department for Transport’s (DfT’s) highways challenge fund in March 2015 and the three councils were awarded £19.3m. The funding will cover 70 percent of the cost of upgrading lighting in all three boroughs, with the remaining 30 percent coming from each council.
We will use our £6.2m share to replace all of our street lanterns, all concrete columns and any steel columns that are in poor condition.
Depending on weather conditions, the two-year project is due to end in April 2018 for all three boroughs. It will replace all of Slough’s 11,300 street lamps with LED energy efficient ones, which:
Since getting the grant we have awarded the contract to Volker Highways
This funding is provided by the DfT in order to help us fix potholes or stop them forming. We have been receiving this funding since the 2014-15 financial year and will be receiving a new allocation in 2018-19. The funding supplements our existing budget helping us to ensure the highway network is kept in a safe state.
In addition to reactive works, in 2017-18 we used this funding for trialling the following innovative techniques (with a view to using them as standard).
This technique will allow us to carry out pothole plug in repairs in less than five minutes, which will last up to four years. Standard plug in repairs last up to six months. The technique works by clearing debris in the pothole using high pressure water, heating the existing carriageway up, filling the hole and compacting.
We recently carried out a demo for a new type of cold lay material (pictured right). These types of materials allow potholes to be filled quickly by applying special tarmac directly from a bag onto the road surface and then compacting manually.
Our highways inspectors currently issue orders to repair potholes from our in-office system. We will soon be supplying them with handheld devices which will allow them to issue orders to carry out repairs as soon as they see them on site. This will improve their efficiency and reduce admin costs.
Transport and highways are important to everyone, whether you are a resident, a business or a commuter passing through the town.
The main focus of our service plan is to ensure roads are maintained to a good standard, economic competitiveness is achieved, congestion is reduced by providing alternatives to cars and the development of new housing and school places is facilitated.