Please go to our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Council tax appeals

Making an appeal does not confer any rights to withhold payment.

If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

Appeals against banding

The grounds for appeal about the banding of your property are restricted to the following cases:

  • where you became the taxpayer for a home for the first time. (Your appeal must be made to the Listing Officer within 6 months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again)
  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction in a home's value
  • where you start or stop using part of your home to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use change
  • where the Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer.

The Listing Officer

The Listing Officer is an independent Officer of the Crown and can be contacted at the Valuation Office Agency at the address shown or via the VOA website.

District Valuer and Valuation Officer
Reading Valuation Office,
Kings Wharf,
20-30 Kings Road
Berkshire RG1 3ER
Tel: 0118 980 4800
Fax: 0118 980 4899 

Appeals against council tax decisions

There are also appeal rights if you consider that you are not liable to pay council tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner; or because the property is exempt; or that we have made a mistake in calculating your bill.

If you wish to make an appeal on these grounds you must first notify the council tax section, in writing, so that we have the opportunity to reconsider the case.

Head of Revenues and Benefits
P.O. Box 1733
Slough SL1 1FS