Slough moves into covid tier 2

The change will come into force at 00:01 Saturday 24 October. Find out more details about Slough going into tier 2 and what it means.

Please go to our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Demolition notices

If you are demolishing a building, you may require both planning permission and a demolition notice.

Planning permission for demolition

Many buildings or structures require planning permission for the demolition to be granted before work can begin. Some smaller structures, such as small extensions, may not require planning permission for demolition, but you should always check with the planning team before beginning work.

If you live in a conservation area, you will require conservation area consent to undertake most demolition work. For more information on conservation area consent, please see our information page here:

To check if you need planning permission for a demolition, please contact the planning team on:

Demolition Notices – Section 80 of The Building Act 1984

Any building that is larger than 50m3 will require a demolition notice to be issued before demolition work can begin.

An application form for a demolition notice can be found here:

As well as the form, you also need to include:

  • a method statement
  • a site plan
  • the correct fee.

Return the form, along with the documentation required above by email: or by post to:
Slough Building Control Services
Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road

If you wish to, you can pay for your application over the phone. To do this, please contact us on 01753 875810. Please note, you must submit your application no later than 6 weeks before the intended start date.

You must also send a copy of your application form to adjacent occupiers and your gas, electric and water suppliers. If the demolition notice is granted, we will send copies to your gas, electric and water suppliers, the fire service, and several departments of the council, including environmental health, health and safety, land charges, and council tax.

You should not commence demolition until you have received a demolition notice. Commencing demolition without a valid demolition notice is an offence, and you may receive a fine.

If you have any doubt about whether you need a demolition notice, please contact us for advice before starting work:

When demolishing a structure, you may also be required to erect scaffolding or hoarding. If these structures are on or over the public highway they will require a license. For more information, please visit our Scaffolding and Hoarding page.

Contact us

Contact Building Control form

01753 875810 (available weekdays between 10am - 12pm, and 2pm - 4pm).

Slough Building Control Services
Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road
Find on map