Please go to our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Possible delays in our customer services

From 18 to 28 August we will be in training to improve the service we give our residents. This may impact our waiting times - sorry for any delays.

You may find what you are looking for on our council services page.

Industrial pollution

All industrial processes have the potential to release pollution to land, air and water. This pollution can pose a health risk to people as well as damaging the environment. To prevent this, industrial processes are tightly regulated as part of the Environment Act 1995 in order to minimise, and to manage, their environmental impacts.

This regulatory regime is known as "environmental permitting", it has previously been known as integrated pollution prevention and control (IPPC) and pollution prevention and control (IPC).

If you are an operator of industrial processes that are prescribed under The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations
2016, you must hold an environmental permit to legally operate the process.

The site explains environmental permits and how to apply for one.

It is an offence for any person/company to operate a permitted (prescribed) activity without a valid permit. The regulatory responsibility for this permitting regime is split between the council and the Environment Agency.

What is an environmental permit?

An environmental permit is a document prepared by a regulator, either the council or the Environment Agency. It has conditions which you must follow to prevent your business from harming the environment or human health.

What is the role of the local authority?

We have a legal responsibility to regulate environmental permitting and keep a register of all industrial installations or premises in the local area which could potentially cause pollution.

Part A installation permit

Covers industries that are considered to be the most polluting. Industries such as large scale power stations, chemical works and pharmaceutical production fall under this category. Regulated by the Environment Agency.

You can apply for a Part A1 permit through the website.

Part A1 Industrial Installation Register.

Part A2 installation permit

The council regulates this environmental permitting regime, also known and referred to as Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC). These installations are regulated for emissions to air, water (including discharges to sewer) and land, plus a range of other environmental considerations. Operators of galvanizers or large scale pottery, for example.

Part B installation permit

The council regulates this environmental permitting regime, also known and referred to as Local Air Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC). These installations are only regulated for emissions to air such as dry cleaning, glassworks, vehicle refinishers and paint spraying operators, crematoria, furniture manufacturers, cement batching plants, and petrol stations and the uploading of petrol.

Part A2 & B Industrial Installation Register.

Apply for a permit

The operator of the installation (or an authorised person on behalf of the company) must apply for a permit. Contact us on 01753 875810.

A permit will only be granted if you can satisfy the regulator that the requirements of the regime in terms of controlling emissions to the air can be met and subsequently maintained.

Once a permit is issued, the operator must comply with the permit conditions and pay an annual fee. 


Local Air Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC) charges for 2019-2020.